Limerick Institute of Technology, twice named ‘Sunday Times University Guide’ Institute of the Year is home to over 6,500 students across five vibrant campuses in Limerick city, Thurles, Clonmel and Ennis. A further new campus is being developed at Coonagh in Limerick to cater for LIT’s rapidly expanding student population and will become a centre of excellence in Engineering education. LIT’s two Tipperary campuses are located in Thurles and Clonmel.
Thurles is a vibrant town and is a great, central location in which to live and study. It boasts many cultural and recreational facilities, including the renowned Semple Stadium, the spiritual home of hurling, a stone’s throw from the LIT Thurles campus. In Liberty Square is Hayes Hotel, which held the first meeting of the GAA in 1884 and still remains a popular meeting point for the thousands of GAA followers that descent on Thurles each summer.
The LIT Thurles campus includes the cutting-edge LIT SportsLab, a world standard sports strength and conditioning complex. Among the facilities available in the 2,000 sq. metre facility are a 3D Organic Motion Capture System for motion analysis, a 45m six land spring track specifically designed to improve speed, a Paralympic area, cable machines, a range of sport technology systems, including micro electro mechanical systems and GPS systems; Olympic lifting platforms: functional screening kits; weights and the full range of exercise machines. The superb facility is designed to support students enrolled on our sports programmes, as well as college teams. It is also used by professional athletes and elite intercountry GAA teams.
The Undergraduate Programmes available in LIT Thurles include:
- Social Care Work Level 8
- Early Childhood Care and Education Level 7 and 8
- Marketing and Management Level 6, 7 and 8
- Business Studies with Sports Mgt Level 8
- Sports Strength and Conditioning Level 7 and 8
- Environmental and Geographical Sciences Level 7 and 8
- Environmental Management in Agriculture Level 7
- Computing Level 7
- Games Design and Development Level 8
- Sports Development and Coaching Level 6
Just a few of the many great reasons to choose LIT Thurles:
- Active Learning. Students learn by doing at LIT. We combine practice with theory offering students and experiential model of learning. This equips you with essential skills you can take into your chosen career.
- Small class sizes. As a student in LIT Thurles, you will not get lost in the crowd. Our small class sizes allow for greater participation and discussion in lecturers.
- Access to lecturers. LIT Thurles is a tight knit community of learners where students have easy access to lecturers whether you meet them on the corridors, in the canteen, or for scheduled meetings, which are easy to organise.
- Employable. Graduates of LIT Thurles are highly employable. Not only will you graduate with a recognised degree relevant to your field of study but thanks to our practical approach to learning, you will also possess the necessary skills and experience employers look for.
- Support: LIT Thurles provides an extensive range of support services for students, designed to assist you to reach your full potential and enjoy your college experience. Our ‘Engage’ Orientation programme for incoming first year students gives you the tools you need to successfully navigate college life. During the first weeks of term, our Student Leaders are on-hand each day to provide advice while you find your feet and give you all the information you need about campus life, clubs and societies and how to access supports.
- Affordable: the cost of student living in Thurles is lower than many other locations, with most student accommodation located within easy walking distance of the campus. The college also has access to a good transport network of rail and bus services to and from the town.
The following events are scheduled for LIT Thurles for the 2018/19 Academic year:
- Science Week 11-18 November 2018
- Games Fleadh @LIT 6 March 2019
- Sci-fest 2019 April 2019
- Further events may be added during the year. See cao.lit.ie for more information.
For further information on how to apply to LIT Thurles contact:
Admissions Office, LIT Thurles Campus, Nenagh Road, Thurles, Co. Tipperary.
Tel: 0504 28072